Our bodies become toxic for many reasons. Conventionally grown produce (pesticides), packaged and processed foods (preservatives), cosmetics, personal hygiene and household cleaning products (industrial chemicals) are good examples of our daily exposure to a whole host of toxins. We eat, drink, breathe in and absorb toxins through our skin all the time – in our modern society, it is virtually impossible to avoid environmental toxins.
Exposure to environmental toxins has been linked to an overproduction of unchecked free radicals which, in turn, is implicated in premature ageing, weight gain and obesity, and various degenerative diseases like cancer, diabetes, arthritis and heart disease.
Research indicates that one of the best defenses against free radical damage are antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that are found in various plant-based foods, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains. Certain foods (such as cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage) are rich in phytochemicals that are thought to be especially beneficial to fighting free radicals.
In recent years, the idea of “cleansing” or “detoxing” has been been popularized by commercially created formulas, diets or programs – mostly in connection with weight loss. Many people have the idea that they need to periodically cleanse or detox and resort to extreme measures that can be dangerous.
Although an “intensive” periodic detox, like Panchakarma which is done under the supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic practioner, can be very beneficial, it is important to realize that exposure to toxins and consequent overproduction of free radicals is an ongoing, daily event. Therefore, an effort to detox or cleanse should be a continual effort.
There are many natural ways in which to natural cleanse your body on a daily basis, as this infographic illustrates and explains:
- Refrain from smoking, drinking excessive alcohol and decaffeinated beverages and eating too much sugar.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Drink plenty of clean water throughout the day and warm lemon water first thing in the morning. To determine how much water you need to drink, see this water chart.
- Manage stress levels through meditation, journaling or discussing your problems with a friend, family member or within a trusted support group.
- Eat foods rich in dietary fiber like kale, broccoli, almonds, beans and legumes, berries, apples, chiaand flaxseed.
- Avoid acid-forming foods like dairy, beef, pork, shellfish, peanuts, sodas and white or wine vinegar.
- Take extra care of your liver by regularly consuming certain herbs, spices and foods like milk thistle, ginger, garlic, lemon, chorella, turmeric and dandelion root.
In his book, Complete Colon Cleanse: The At-Home Detox Program to Restore Good Health, Boost Vitality, and Ensure Longevity, Dr. Edward F. Group III writes that our modern world is swarming with toxins. These toxins infiltrate and poison the body and accumulate in the colon. The result is weight gain, fatigue and various other medical conditions and health issues. Dr. Group maintains that cleansing the colon improves all aspect of one’s general health and specifically helps to:
✔ Lose Weight
✔ Lower Blood Sugar
✔ Increase Energy
✔ Improve Awareness
✔ Reduce Inflammation
✔ Alleviate Irritable Bowels
✔ Stop Headaches and Allergies
✔ Appear More Youthful
Today, there are many colon cleanse and detox products and services on the market. These include supplements, colonic hydrotherapy (colon irrigation) and various other treatments and therapies.
But, one the best natural ways to cleanse and maintain a healthy colon is to reduce the the toxin load by eating organic produce that is high in fiber and to regularly consume certain foods and herbs.
This infographic illustrates some of the best foods and herbs that are thought to be very effective in cleansing the colon and keeping it healthy and include:
✿ Alfalfa Sprouts
✿ Aloe Vera
✿ Fermented Foods (Kefir)
✿ Fennel Seeds
✿ Flax Seeds
✿ Organic Fruits (Apples, Grapes, Pineapples, Papayas and Kiwis)
✿ Probiotic Yogurt
✿ Pumkin Seeds
✿ Tea Tree Oil